March 19, 2020
Coronavirus – measures at the FMI
In light of the increased spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), the FMI put in place strict measures in an effort to slow down the infection rate and to protect the health and safety of our associates. These measures reduce ongoing research activities, but ensure essential operations of the institute.
- Associates whose presence is not required at the FMI work from home. Our IT department has worked hard to enable FMI associates to efficiently work remotely.
- Associates present at FMI strictly follow the rules of ‘social distancing’.
- All seminars and events at the FMI are cancelled until further notice.
- Meetings are held virtually using video-based tools.
- FMI groupleaders teaching at the University of Basel have switched to online teaching.
- Research infrastructures continue to operate at reduced levels to enable critical experiments.
We will maintain our summer-PhD application round (deadline for applications is May 25). However, the panel interviews with shortlisted candidates (June 24-25) will not take place physically at the FMI but instead done remotely using video-based tools. Candidates who pass the online interviews will be invited to a visit at the FMI at a later time, once the situation has normalized.
We remain responsive to any developments regarding coronavirus and will continue to adjust as the situation evolves.
Bernd Korn, FMI Head of Operations and HSE